I'm ashamed to admit that I have a background (ok, ok, even a Bachelor's degree) in Computer Information Systems, and at one point I knew my HTML really really well. However, years have passed and I don't work in the tech industry using my programming skills, so much of what I learned has completely left my mind. People kept telling me that learning to program again is like riding a bike: you learned it once, you were probably really good at, you quit doing it for a while (maybe because other interests get in the way), but it's pretty easy to pick up again once you start practicing. So I tried reading my old textbooks, designing a website, referencing the internet and programmer friends...and I must not be very motivated or I must be getting older, because I just wasn't getting it the second time around. I didn't really understand why not, because I'm a smart and educated and successful person... right??
All this leads me into the world of blogging. I've had a blog since about 2006 but I hadn't posted anything on it. Why not, you might ask? Laziness. Not really wanting to tell my whole life story to the rest of the world. I much prefer to read other people's stories and pictures and daily experiences than write of my own boring life. You might call me a lurker; my husband calls me nosey :) I just like to know information about people, that's all. Now with the world of blogging and lurking, I constantly come across other people's blogs that aren't the standard options that Blogger gives you when you sign up. I kept wondering "How did they design their blog so cute? How much money did they pay to have it custom-designed? If they did it themselves, how do I do this? How come some other SAHM with a degree in elementary education figured out how to customize her blog, when I, with a CIS degree can't figure out how to do it?!" So last night I spent HOURS Googling "customized blogs" and "cute blog designs", and FINALLY there was a post that explained the fine details of getting all the cute backgrounds, papers, and the HTML code for getting it all perfect. Since I never would have figured that out on my own, I want to share my new-found secret with anyone who reads this! (And if you already have your own custom blog - then just skip this entire post completely).
Rather than reinvent the wheel, the best source for detailed information is One Cute Blog. She explains how to create the background design using digital scrapbook elements and uploading them to Photobucket. But before you do all that, you have to make some changes to your current blog. Follow these steps below.
Step 1: Log into your blog. From the dashboard, click on the link that reads "layout" or click "customize" on the top right hand corner of your blog.
Step 2: Click on the link that reads "Pick new template". Change your template to "minima," which is the top left template. Save your template.
Step3: Click on the link that reads "Edit html".
Scroll down a bit until you see this:
body {
background:$bgcolor;
margin:0;
color:$textcolor;
font:x-small Georgia Serif;
font-size/* */:/**/small;
font-size: /**/small;
text-align: center;
Replace it with:
body {
background:$bgcolor;
background-image:url(direct link);
background-position: center;
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;
margin:0;
color:$textcolor;
font:x-small Georgia Serif;
font-size/* */:/**/small;
font-size: /**/small;
text-align: center;
Step 4: Click on the blog template of your choice (in your Photobucket album), copy and paste the URL provided into the spot that says direct link. Make sure to leave the parenthesis in place. Click on preview to make sure you like it. If you do, save your template and enjoy your new cute blog. Be sure to adjust your background colors to match!
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Create a Customized Blog
Posted by
Lachelle
at
3:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment